In honor of the wee baby ProgBlog, I recorded a special podcast, which I’m posting both here and over there.
This entry is concerned primarily with psychedelic music, although not all of the artists represented have traditionally been categorized as such. I more or less stayed on the heavy side of the aisle, so expect molten licks and melt-the-fretboard axe maneuvers. This ain’t the flutes and wizards shit, oh no.
Tracklisting, etc. below the fold. Enjoy:
Opener: The Beatles — "Blue Jay Way"
1. Gong — Outer Temple, Angels Egg. Available at fine record stores, if you get lucky.
2. Comets on Fire — "Lucifer’s Memory," Avatar. Available everywhere. Well, not eMusic.
3. Amon Duul II — "Eye Shaking King," Yeti. Special order-able at record stores, Forced Exposure, etc.
4. DMBQ — "Smoker," Esoteric Black Hair. You’ll definitely have to order this, online or at a shop.
5. Pink Floyd — "Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk," Piper at the Gates of Dawn. If you can’t find this, I can’t help you.
6. The Psychic Paramount — "Para5," Gamelan Into the Mink Supernatural. Online; Other Music/Aquarius-type shops.
7. 13th Floor Elevators — "Tried to Hide," I Have Always Been Here Before Roky Erikson collection. Readily available.
8. This Heat — "The Fall of Saigon," This is 1. Downloadable at eMusic; available at the better stores.
9. Eduardo Bort — "Yann," Eduardo Bort. Might be a little tougher. Not everything is in print…
10. Burning Star Core — "The Universe is Designed to Break Your Mind," Blood Lightning 2007. Underground shops, iTunes, eMusic.